|October 26, 2007
Hello my pretties!
So sorry I haven't been around the last two weeks, but I'm back with a vengeance now! Seems like our Soaps have been going through a rather odd... "stall"... for the last few weeks and I haven't really had any new material to work with! I mean, seriously, how many times can a girl rag on Sam McCall for crying out loud?! (Okay... BAD example...)
Anyhoo... I had the privilege and honor of being able to participate in a "Live Chat" with the FABULOUS Carolyn Hennesy (Diane Miller ~ GH) on one of the boards today. (Did I mention that she was fabulous?!) Learned a few things about her that I didn't know, and something she told us really chapped my arse. The rumors about Diane not being invited to NEm's Ball? Absolutely 100% true. (Talk about a TRAVESTY!!!) And WHY wasn't she invited? Because Carolyn H. is not on contract - and only contract players were allowed to go to the Ball...
*cusses like a sailor*
Can you IMAGINE?! Of all people NOT to get to go to the Ball - our very own bodacious attorney-slash-fashionista?!! It's an outrage! A travesty! An abomination! Leaving her out in simply unconscionable! Yet, we get to see people like Leyla? Johnny and Anthony Z. (Don't get me wrong, love them, but they've been around for... what? Five minutes?) And Nadine?! WTF?! No Diane, but we get NADINE?!! Are they out of their minds?!
*cusses some more*
*deep, cleansing breath*
So... Since the only way to get the attention of TPTB is to inundate the studio with mail, I am begging, pleading, groveling for everyone to break out their pens, paper and stamps and take the time to write to Carolyn and TPTB to show them our love for this great, great character. Some of her supporters are even sending in SHOES!! (Remember, Diane LOVES shoes!!!) While I'm on the subject of contracts, you should know, Carolyn is more than willing to sign a contract with GH - but it's TPTB who are dragging their feet. At least not at this time. When asked about the contract status, she said: "Well, guys I have sorta bad news...we already asked TPTB about a contract...they said absolutely not...not at this time...I think they have been overwhelmed by the response to Diane and simply don't know what to do with her..."
*sound of crickets chirping*
I know *I* have plenty of ideas about what to do with Diane and where to take her character. I know lots of other people who do as well. It's up to us, I suppose, to show them the error of their ways. So, what say you, my pretties? Are you with me on this campaign?
*picture me begging on bended knee*
Fun little tidbits:
* She would love to spend some time with Robert Scorpio. (I, for one, would LOVE to see this pairing.)
* She would also LOVE to be paired with Luke Spencer! (Can you imagine?!) I can just see Tracy and Diane battling it out over Luke!
* She has no idea if she and Max will try hooking up again, but shares this: "...just so you know, the whole Mrs. Robinson, through the leg shot was my idea...I take full credit for that...it was a great moment...my first GH kiss!"
* She would LOVE to see Alexis and Diane become friends...there's so much adversarial tension between the two of them and she'd like to see it go away for a bit...and then they could start their own firm! CH: "Believe it or not. Nancy Lee Grahn and I were talking about how much we would love to for Alexis and Diane to open a law firm together. Can you see it? They would be rivals during the day, and then carry on at night."
* She would love more "show time" with Ric Lansing. (Who can blame her? She always kicks-arse in scenes with Ric!)
* She'd also love to be doing something in addition/instead of just the mob stuff. CH: "If I have to do mob stuff...then let it be very dangerous...put me in a life or death sitch, and have me get out by my wits." (Personally? I would LOVE to see this!)
* Many of you have seen her in that Ice Cream commercial - just so you know, her faves include "Cherry Garcia or anything mint".
* As far as fashion goes? Carolyn is a real down-to-earth kinda gal. She tends toward more of a classy cowboy look - like boots and jeans all the time, EXCEPT when auditioning for something. When pressed on the matter, she admits: "Okay... I have to admit...I DO love fashion...but cowboy boots are just so much EASIER!" (HEEEEEEE!!!)
* Guess what? Carolyn isn't just a fabulous actress, she's a prolific author! She is currently writing a series of fantasy/fiction novels for the 8-12 year old set, her literary agent has secured a publisher (Bloomsbury Publishing) and the first in the series will be in book stores by mid-December! The books are about the Myth of Pandora -- a young girl in ancient Greece who has modern sensibilities. The working tagline for the series is "A Harry Potter for Girls". She says that the books are full of "crazy adventures." The project has been in the works for three years and there is already some interest in movie rights. She would absolutely consider appearing in the films, particularly if they are animated! (Did you know that she also did the voice of Bambi's mother in "Bambi II"?
* Guess what else? Carolyn is also a NEWLYWED! She married Donald Agnelli on March 31st of this year! She says that her husband straddles both worlds in that he is an architect consultant and a wonderful actor as well. Shares Carolyn: "Married life is simply the greatest...a first marriage for us both, and when you've waited this long to get it right...everyday is wonderful...which is not to say that it's not hard sometimes...you know, when he's WRONG!!" (Gawd, I LOVE her!)
* About that designer original dress that Kate Howard planned to gift her with? Carolyn states that, "If I have to claw my way up to (designer) Neila Larentis' office personally... she will get that dress!!! I'm thinking she will probably get it. She'll wear it into Sonny's living room with her briefcase strapped over her shoulder or something." (HAHAHAHAHAHA! I can totally see this!)
* She has not been the victim of any practical jokes - yet. Which is odd, considering that she works with two of the (rumored) biggest pranksters on the show: Maurice Benard and Steve Burton. She does share that, "Although, SB and MB will every so often tell me that I cannot speak on the set until spoken to and if I try to talk between scenes they will get very, mockingly, angry." (HAHAHAHAHA!)
* About those she plays opposite with the most? She has this to say about her co-stars: "I just sit back and stare at Bradford (Anderson, Spinelli)...he's a genius, no lie. I almost can't even laugh at him, he's so good." And, "I *DO* have trouble with Bradford. Part of me is amazed that this brilliant actor can memorize those lines and rattle them off and make it sound seamless. I marvel at that -- it takes precedence over laughing. Plus I have seen the scripts ahead of time so I already know what he's going to say, like when he calls me the Tense Mob Lady of Justice "
"Rebecca Herbst (Elizabeth) is lovely, very private and has the best skin I have ever seen on anyone except those under the age of two."
"Steve Burton (Jason) is so intense. You just look in those eyes and think 'Okay, I'm not going to say another word.' I have no trouble keeping a straight face with him."
She also confirmed to one viewer that, yes... "Maurice Benard (Sonny) IS just as good looking in person as he appears to be on the show."
Now, didn't I tell you what a lovely person she is? Don't YOU think she deserves to be on contract? If so, pick up your pens and jot down your thoughts, wishes, fervent desires, etc. and send them to anyone and everyone on this list:
4151 Prospect Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Anne Sweeney, Co-Chair
Disney Media Networks Division
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521
President, ABC Daytime
2300 Riverside Drive
Burbank, CA 91506
Senior Vice President of ABC Daytime
Capital Cities, ABC, INC
77 West 66th St
New York, NY 10023
Soap Opera Digest
261 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10016
Soap Opera Weekly
261 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10016
TV Guide (east)
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 17036
TV Guide (west)
6922 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Soaps In Depth
270 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 07632
(Can you tell I have rather strong feelings on this matter?!)
Anyhoo... You didn't think I was going to end this column without at least one verbal swipe at Sam McCall, did you? Of COURSE not! Like many of you out there, I was looking forward to Sam coming back to town, kicking arse and taking names - desperately hoping she would have lost that Lizzeh-chip on her shoulder.
Alas... it was not to be. Sam STILL blames Lizzeh for everything that is wrong in the world and... what's this?! She's telling Alexis that EVERYTHING that went wrong in Lucky's marriage was ALL Lizzeh's fault?! Honestly, my eyes were rolling so far back in my head I could see my brain! Give it up, Sam. GRow up, take some responsibility for your own deeds and stop worrying about Lizzeh, Jason and Jake - MOVE ON AND DO SOMETHING FABULOUS WITH YOUR LIFE!!! PLEASE!!! And for the love of peanut butter, stop harping on Lizzeh being a liar. We all know she lied. But hey, pot-meet-kettle! When you are a font of truth and wisom, THEN you can start throwing the liar label around! Oh, and Lucky? You are not getting a divorce because you lost faith in Lizzeh! You're getting a divorce because
a) You never should have remarried Lizzeh after your bout with drugs and Dirrty-Maxie.
b) You are a selfish, childish, jealous, abusive jerk.
c) You wanted to be free to "do" Sam any time you wanted while still insisting that Lizzeh stay far, far away from The Jason.
Lest you all think I am leaving Lizzeh out of the verbal smacking... Lizzeh? It's WAY past time to come clean with the Jake-Truth. JUST TELL THE TRUTH ALREADY AND LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY!!!! I mean, who knows? Lucky may actually put the child first and keep his mouth shut about who Jake's birth-father is - to keep him safe from the mob wars. But, in the name of all that is good and decent on this earth... TELL THE JAKE-TRUTH!
Until next time, my lovelies... Belly up to the bar and have a few on me!
*Carolyn Hennesy chat and comments are from www.soaps.com
March 15, 2007